1. What is your opinion of the main character and her obsessions with herbs and bossy opinions about food? Did it come across as funny satire, or serious? What do you think the author intended?
2. In your opinion is the conflict between Melanie and her husband only about low fat versus high fat food and calories? What else do you think they’re fighting about?
3. Do you think Melanie is irrational about food? Do you know people like her?
4. There are snappy comments about class differences and materialism. Ia Melanie just jealous? Did the author succeed in presenting Melanie’s opinions as humorous, or were you turned off?
5. Were you surprised by the ending?
6. From this first book, did you get a picture of life in New York City?
7. How did you feel about Melanie’s decision about Devon at the end of the book?